Wednesday, January 13, 2010

have faith.


To quote one of my favorite songs, "You've got to stand for something / Or you'll fall for anything".


Our beliefs are quite possibly the most important thing we have. Without a strong belief system, you're like a house with no foundation (thank you, philosophy 208H for the analysis). 

Needless to say, different people believe in different things. How many different religions are there out there? But I'm talking more about personal beliefs on a much smaller scale. Our own little "quirks" as they are sometimes known as. Some are a little more outlandish than others, but that's doesn't make the believer's faith any less important. For example, an old friend of mine has a pair of "lucky socks" that he has worn in every single sporting event and never washed. I believe that it is disgusting. He believes that his socks help him be faster, stronger, or whatever it takes for him to be better at that sport.


Now that I've thoroughly confused everyone, myself included, I thought I'd share some of my own little beliefs:


  • I believe in laughing every day, preferably every moment.
  • I believe that ice cream has soul-healing powers.
  • I believe that movies are better (and cheaper) for a quick escape than a weekend trip.
  • I believe in reading for fun.
  • I believe in new year's resolutions.
  • I believe that Grandma Tiny's chocolate chip cookies are the best cure for hunger.
  • I believe in the strength of family as a safety net.
  • I believe food was intended to be simple, not spicy.
  • I believe music can fix any problem.
  • I believe in fairytales.
  • I believe in daily hugs.
  • I believe old fashioned letters are better than a quick email.


I believe that confrontation is the worst thing in the world, and that snakes were created simply to creep people out. I also believe in every person's right to choose their own beliefs, religious or not.


(I won't discuss religion because I don't discuss topics that I don't know very well.)




Let me finish off my beliefs with this one:


I believe that faith in something is necessary to remain sane. especially faith in yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.