Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Call me old-fashioned

Today's topic: how old school and uncool I am :)

I may be up to date on technology and some of the new music out there, but in other ways I'm a sixty year old woman.

For example, I'll start with the number one reason I'm now considered old fashioned:
I am still a virgin.
Yeah, shocker. A twenty year old who is still a virgin simply because I want to be. I don't think sex should be taken so lightly. I won't be pressured into sleeping around because, well, I really don't see the point. There's no physical act more personal and intimate, and I think it should be saved for a specific person. Call me old school, but I'd rather wait til there's a ring on my finger and a signed piece of paper before I give it up.
No, I don't believe this for religious reasons. No, I'm not just saying so because I'm scared. I simply would rather wait and avoid possible complications like STDs or pregnancy.

Reason number 2 that I'm lame? I don't think the world should revolve around having the newest technology. Yes, I have a smart phone, an ipod shuffle, and a laptop. However, I recently deleted my Facebook account and have made a concious effort to text less because technology was taking over my life. I wish I could have the hours I spent on FB back, because, honestly, I have been missing humanity. I wouldn't have had such a great weekend without human contact. Its the human touch, the laughter ringing around me that makes my life great. I would rather meet for coffee than catch up via text.

On to numero tres: I prefer hard, ink-on-paper, heavy books in front of me to the new e-readers. Screw convinience, I like to smell the ink, the old bookstore finds.

Other ways I'm now considered lame: I don't date just to have someone. If I'm not feelin' it, it ain't gonna happen. I'm comfortable being alone. Yes, I like all the benefits of a relationship, but I don't want one that I'm not emotionally invested in. I prefer to actually like the guy, not string him on as a plaything until I'm bored. 

Also, I don't feel like I need to dress a certain way. I prefer my jeans, sweatshirts, and flats. Today, I saw a) a girl wearing a men's button-down shirt over spandex shorts (nothing left to the imagination I promise), b) leggings as pants (ew) and c) a plethora of skirts the size of band aids. Mind you, I live in Oregon, and today's high was a whopping 55 degrees. Jiminey crickets, ladies, cover up! I felt sorry for y'all, freezing your lady parts just to look "attractive". Trust me, blue is never attractive unless you live in Pandora.

That reminds me. Apparently my country side comes out a bit. And by a bit I mean a lot. Tack that on to the list of lame qualities I have, and you get a backwoods 70 year old grandma.

Funny thing is, though, I honestly don't care. I actually enjoy having self respect. Now, let me clear this up - I don't care if you do any of the above that I don't. To each their own. If you like sleeping around, and you feel good about it, then do it. If you like freezing your parts off feel free. Just know that a) I will never join you and b) I actually pity your frozen parts.

I'm learning to embrace me as myself. All of me. Lame, awesome, every little thing. Try it!

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.