Sunday, June 20, 2010

A day for the dads...

I love Father's Day. A day dedicated to celebrating the most important men in my life? Heck yes!

Of course, my number one will always be my daddy. He raised three girls, mostly on his own, and we all turned out pretty darn good (if I may say so myself). We learned together that 1) Daddy should never attempt to curl hair (My sister's poor head), 2) Daddy can make a mean tuna cassarole, and pancakes, 3) Daddy is a big ol' tough man who's really a teddy bear, and the list goes on. Daddy always wanted a little boy, someone to play catch with and go hunting and do "man things" together with. Instead, he got three tomboys, rough and tumble little girls who lived and breathed sports and had little interest in the opposite sex (until high school, that is...). Sure, none of us turned out to be fantastic basketball superstars, or sports stars in general, but I think we made Daddy proud. He'll always be our Superman, and I cannot express just how much I love him.

Today is a special day because I get to celebrate more than one father in my life. My stepdad, Rick (aka Boonie) is a brave man. He married my mother ten years ago, knowing that he was moving into a house full of pre-teen girls. He had two sons, so he wasn't really sure how to handle girls, but I think he's weathered the storm quite well. Boonie has always supported us girls in pursuing the dreams, no matter how crazy the dreams might have been. He introduces us as his daughters, and he has been more than caring, loving, and generous to us.

Both of these men have taught me many lessons in life, whether it's teaching me how to drive (Sorry I flipped your truck, Daddy, and sorry about the traumatic emotional breakdown Boonie!), teaching me how to fix things (both are big believers in the magic of duct tape), or teaching me what love truly is (the way they love their wives is utterly amazing).

The other toop men in my life?
My grandpas.
There's four of them (how lucky am I?)

Grandpa Monte - the man, the myth, the legend. Gramps has overcome huge, HUGE obsticles in his life, yet is still able to love with his whole heart and trusting and caring towards others. His relationship with God is one to be admired, along with Grandpa's strength and spirit. The man fiercely loves, protecting those who need it. He is a miracle in itself. He taught me how to love, how to live, and how to laugh. He is mid-seventies, but he's still kicking strong. He is still logging and packing his mule train into the mountains. He goes and goes and goes and never lets life hold him back.

Grandpa Doane - Grampa Whiskers is an amazing man. He stepped into our crazy, crazy family willingly, adopting my mother and her siblings during their pre-teen years and saving my grandma for certain insanity (well, as much as he could). He is a man of quiet strength, the support system to the entire family. He loves all of us as though we were his own, and I wouldn't change a single thing about him. He is one of my favorite people to joke around with, and we like to "further the musical education" of each other by swapping mixed CDs. He's a big teddy bear, the best kind there ever was.

Grandpa Boone - Sadly, Grandpa was taken away from us before I truly got to know him. I will always call him my grandpa though, and I love hearing stories about his life. He was a mischevious boy, which led to many different career paths. I think Grandpa tried a little bit of everything, from owning coffee dispensing machines to running a nutria farm. He loved Grandma June with all of his heart, as they weathered 66 years of marriage and 3 kids together. He was a quiet fellow, a deep thinker, who loved to play cards. He was a good man, and I wish I had gotten the chance to know him better. I may have been a stepgranddaughter, but he treated me the same as all of his biological grandchildren.

Grandpa Bob - Ah Bob. He is my stepmother's stepfather (confusing, right?), and he is a character. He loves to talk, and he will tell stories all day long about his days working for PG&E, or how he truly was born in a barn. His favorite topic is hunting and fishing, so him and Grandpa Monte get along great. He's a good guy, and I'm glad he's a part of the family now.

Boyfriends may come and go, but no man is as important to a girl as her daddy. Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful, stand-up guys who are trying their best to be the greatest dad ever. Sadly, I have to say that title is already taken, held by my daddy and always will be.

I love you, Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.