Sunday, September 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Gramma!

Today, 60+ years ago, the world welcomed a little baby girl. Little did anyone know, but that tiny sprout of a lady would grow up to become one of the strongest, most beautiful women I would ever meet.

Oh, did I mention she's my grandma?

Grandma Doane is without a doubt one of the most incredible people I have the pleasure of knowing. She looks like this cute, tiny, fragile doll of a woman. Oh trust me, the woman is far from weak. She's the tree that bends a teeny bit but doesn't break in the middle of a hurricane. I hope I can be half the woman she is, surviving crappy situations to come out fighting. She has pulled through the world's worst marriage, raised 4 kids (who sound like they were hellraisers back in the day, but all 4 are doing good things with their lives), and survived Hodgkins's Lymphoma. Not only did she survive, she fought tooth and nail to pull through. She claims it was so nobody can steal my Grandpa Doane, but we all know it's because she's too damn stubborn to give up. She also has pulled through TWO bouts in the intensive care unit from the residual damage of the radiation treatment she received to fight the HL.

She has lived through my biological grandfather (aka the sperm donor) to finally find true happiness with the man I'm proud to call my grandpa. She has helped her four children grow up to be good people, and her grandkids are turnign out that way too, if I may say so myself. Grandma may be teeny tiny cutesy, but she's got a fighting spirit that I really hope I've inherited. Also, she makes some of the best goshdarn food I've ever eaten! I have to fight off my grandpa, mom, and sister to get some of Gramma's delicious Coconut Krispie cookies - they are AMAZING. I don't even really like coconut, and I could live off the krispies.

All in all, Grandma Doane is at the top of my list of heroes. I love her to pieces, even if she does make me share the cookies!

Love you more than words can say Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.