Sunday, September 12, 2010

i like me some sports

Ah fall.
It's my favorite time of year.
School starts back up, friends return from summer vacations, cute sweaters and boots are a fashion must,
and the best part of all?

FOOTBALL.

    Oh yes. The absolute best sport ever invented. My family thinks I don't like football because I don't care about a team's stats or even who's playing. They couldn't be more wrong. I LOVE football. The actual game playing part is what I'm interested in. Sure, I can say I'm a Colts girl or a Giants fan (what can I say? I am a big Peyton Manning / Kevin Boss fan).
    NFL team loyalty isn't my cup of tea, however. I prefer college or high school football. The guys who are out to play football for the sake of playing football, not for the fame or the endorsements.
   Take my high school team. I'm pretty sure we haven't sent too many people to college on full-ride football scholarships, but that doesn't stop the boys from going out every Friday night and playing their hearts out. My high school thrives on sports in general, but Friday nights the entire town is on the sidelines, cheering the boys on and talking about the good ol' days. The boys march out on that field and just play, no fancy shmancy showing off or any other trick in the NFL book.
    My college is the same way. It's a small university, division II. We aren't nationally recognized for our sports programs (except men's lacrosse) but that doesn't stop the players. We play for pride, the small town rally. We charter busses to an away game. Our team gives every game their all, win or lose.

There's just something about football that makes a small town girl swell with joy and school spirit.

Go Wolves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.