Thursday, February 25, 2010

comfortable

Lying in my bed, all snuggly and warm, I picture the harsh world around me. Wars rage on and on, people declaring complete strangers their enemy. Disasters striking, over and over again. Waves crashing the shoreline, flooding Indonesia. Levees breaking, goodbye New Orleans. The ground shakes, angrily bringing Haiti to its knees. Soldiers rushing, saving our freedom and fighting violence with violence. Presidents try to save our crashing economy. Relationships are crashing and burning. Friendships are slowly sliding away. Death is knocking on undeserving doors. Starvation is plaguing our planet, an unanswerable question.


Everything horrible swirls outside my window. Yet I am still me, the same girl I've always been. Sure, I'm better and stronger, but I'm still me. I still want the same things, dream the same dreams. I still love playing dress up, playing pretend. Look at me, a big college girl now, not afraid of anything. I'm going to take on the world, one lamely written thesis paper at a time.

Swirl away, world. I've got my blanket, my book and my cocoa. I'm not afraid of Saturday nights, dateless on date night. I'm in my comfort zone, and nobody can take that away from me.


1 comment:

  1. since when is saturday night date night??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.