Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September Book Club





So I'm almost a week late with this link up (So sorry!).
In my defense, last week was the first week of classes,
so I've been a little busy studying and all that fun stuff.
Since I never received my book from the swap,
I decided I'm gonna review not one, but two books recommended by none other than Miss Abbi.
(seriously the girl is my literary twin.)
Both are by amazing author John Green.
First up is his first novel:
image via.
Goodreads provided the following summary:
"Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps."
This book is absolutely stunning. Green draws the reader in to this little club of friends, so much that you care just as much as they all do. You can feel the adrenaline of the group pulling pranks. You can feel the teenage angst, lust, and friendship.
This book made me cry, laugh, and fall in love. One of the best novels I have read in a long, long time.
I give it 5/5 stars.
Next is Green's most recent (and extremely popular in the blog world) novel:
image via.
Goodreads's summary:
"Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind"
I actually read this first, after seeing it on several blogs, including Abbi's and Danielle's.
Do yourself a favor, reader. 
Run out and buy a copy of this beautiful novel RIGHT NOW.
Or in the morning, I guess, if you can wait that long.
This novel is hauntingly gorgeous, a pure love surrounded by terrible circumstance.
Seriously, this book gave me a worse book hangover than Harry Potter, and that is definitely saying something.
It's heartbreaking, but worth every damn tear it forces you to shed.
It may also be because it came into my life when I needed it most,
but this novel instantly became a favorite.
I give it 6/5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.