Sunday, May 8, 2011

mothers galore!

Since it's Mother's Day, I thought I'd be nice and say happy mother's day to all my facebook friends who are mothers. Holy cow. I was thinking there was maybe 5 or so....nope! a good chunk of my friends are mothers...which seems really strange, but then I realized that most of them are coworkers, family, or family friends that I've known for ages. Just saying "Happy Mother's Day" to each one took my an hour and a half!!

However, there are a few that deserve special attention. I've already called and/or emailed them this lovely day, but I want the blog world to know just how much I love them.

First up, my mama. Mama is something special, for sure. This woman passed on many things to me, good and bad, and I can't thank her enough. She's the source of my blue eyes, my light brown hair, my love of reading, my klutziness (thanks a lot mom!), my over-caring, and my laughter. While we had a very odd living arrangement throughout my life, she schlepped out to my school for every concert, basketball game, cheer competition, and awards banquets. She gave me my love of travelling, taking trips nearly every summer to fun (and some not so fun) places, whether it was driving the three days to Texas three times or simply going the two hours up to Davis Lake, spending a couple weeks camping. . Mom always tried to make my birthday fun, a difficult task since my birthday is in the summer and nobody is ever around for it. She got creative, and makes all holidays fun and seemingly extravagant, even if it's having us make a ghost town for Halloween out of old cardboard boxes and cotton balls. She's a very dynamic, bright, and outgoing woman. To quote one of my coworkers, "she is just so nice and funny, and I love her laugh! She's a beautiful woman."
I love you, Mama.


Next up is the woman who basically raised me and my sisters for seven years. My grandma is simply amazing. Gramma Tiny was at our house every morning for seven years, getting us girls dressed and out the door to school. After school, we would go to her house, which still feels like my childhood home. Grandma would make us dinner every night, and tuck us in when Daddy worked late. She never missed a single basketball game, and made it to almost every event in our lives. The only times she would miss something was when she was off travelling to see our cousins, spread from Alaska to Colorado. She is the nicest, kindest, most goodhearted person I know, and I love her more than words can say. She spoiled us girls, but made us appreciate hard work at the same time. From her I get my fierce love of family, my love of baking, and my desperate need to make everyone happy. She also shared her love of travelling and of volunteering. Someday I hope to master her cookie recipe, and to learn to sew like her. The woman is the very picture of busy, volunteering three days a week for the local senior center, working at the elementary school when possible, helping out at church functions, and quilting nonstop. The only thing she asks for in return is for a game of cards or two when the family comes to visit. She's this small, powerful dynamo, and didn't let two hospital stays in one year slow her down in the least. The world is a better place because of her, and I am a better person.
I love you, Grandma

The third lady on my list is my stepmother. If you've been reading for awhile, or you know my family, you know that my stepmother and I don't exactly have the greatest relationship. This past year has ripped us apart, and we may never be fixed, but I do owe her some thanks. She made my dinner every night for 9 years, attempted to give me advice, and fulfilled other motherly duties. Sh makes my dad happy, and for that I'm grateful.


As to all the other mothers in my life, they are all strong, beautiful women. If I decide to have kids, I hope I can live up to the examples that are being set all around me. If I can become half the woman these women are, I would be an incredible person. 


So here's to every woman who gives her all; the woman who sacrifices sleep, clothes, food, everything for her children. Here's to the women who carry diaper bags with pride, who are quick with band aids and hugs, who care more than words can say. Mothers of the world, here's to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.