Sunday, March 13, 2011

Books!

Ah books.

My life essentially revolves around books.

whether it's textbooks for class, serious literature, or a goofy easy read, i am nearly always reading a book.

When friends come to me upset, i don't know how to comfort them. however, i know a good book they can read to either a) help them understand and deal with their situation or b) distract themselves from reality by delving into an alternate universe.

yep, i pretty much love books.

i prefer them to tv and movies. i watch more than my fair share of tv and i love movies, but they just don't quite compare to books in my mind. with a tv show, the characters are set in front of you, the show sets how they look, how they act, and all their personality traits.

books, however, have left a wonderful space for imagination to work. you get to see the characters in your own mind, taking the tidbits of information and building real people. you get to build this whole other world in your mind, designing down to the very minute details.

i inherit my love for reading from my mother. my dad has read a total of maybe three books for fun in my life. my mom, my sisters, my stepdad, and i all go through books like we go through oxygen. we live to read, and we all read at least one chapter of a fun book once a day. My sister and my mom trade books every time we meet practically. now mom and my sisters all have nooks, making reading just a tad bit easier - however, i prefer a real, heavy in my hands, old paper smelling book. Nothing is quite as good as the feeling of being so excited about a book that you can't wait to get home and pick it up again....no wonder i have no life...

ahh books.
email me for suggestions - if i wrote a post about the books i love i'd never be able to leave the computer! there are just too many!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what genre you are looking for, but here are a few across the board:

    In The Name of the Wind
    THe Mayor of Casterbridge
    Life as Pi
    Siddhartha
    *Veil of Roses
    Five Quarters of the Orange
    Picture of Dorian Gray

    *One of my absolute favorites--easy quick read too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.