Wednesday, March 2, 2011

ahhhhh..... that's nice.

Oh how i love the relief of finally finishing a huge project. it's like a giant weight is finally lifted and i can breath normally again.

oh, what's the project? a little something called the History of Oregon Woman Suffrage Documents Project.
(aka, my history class project).

Now, let me tell you all about it.

This history class was, uhm, interesting. The concept behind the class and the project is actually pretty dang cool, but i must say this class was far from being my favorite. With a different prof maybe it's be cooler, I dunno. Just my personal opinion.

Anyways. This class was centred around helping the Century Of Action committee build the history of the Oregon Woman Suffrage movement, as well as the COA website. We transcribed JPEGs of 1912 newspaper articles, which makes the articles searchable. (I thought JPEGs were searchable, but apparently not...) We were each given a topic, and we transcribed 5-7 articles about that particular topic. Then we got to write a contextual essay, placing our articles into the broader picture of the suffrage movement, both nationally and locally. All of our article JPEGs, transcriptions, and essays will be put on the Century of Action website : www.centuryofaction.org within the next week. On Tuesday, we will go to the state capitol and attend a kickoff event, showcasing the website. Yeah, I get to meet the Secretary of State and our former governor. No big deal.

So why are we doing all this writing and website-ing? I mean, besides earning credits?

Well, because November 5th of 2012 marks the 100th year anniversary of the passing of the Equal Suffrage law. Yep, that's right - women in Oregon got the right to vote eight years before the national movement passed. Century of Action is commemorating this with the website, and several events. Essentially this is trying to bring Oregon back to national attention and to reinvigorate the Oregonian spirit....I think....

I'm a little fuzzy on what exactly's going on with COA, but I know this for sure:

my transcriptions = DONE.
my essay             = DONE
my project           = DONE.

such a nice relief :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.