Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dream, dream, dream

I love books.
Well, no. That's an understatement.
I adore books. I can never get enough of books. No matter what topic, I'll read it. I may not like the topic (philosophy? no thanks.) but I will still make an effort to read any book given to me.

I've always loved books. I definitely get that from my mom - she always has a stack of books by her bedside. My dad prefers a good sudoku game or a sporting event. My sisters and I are all avid readers - we always have our noses buried in books, whether it's studying for school or for fun. I always have at least one book in my purse - right now, I'm carrying around Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls. I treat myself to one chapter of a fun book for every homework assignment I complete. I would much rather stay home, curled up in bed with cocoa and the latest Janet Evanovich, Robert B. Parker, or a classic like Jane Austen or Mark Twain than go out and party with a large group. (That may also have to do with my extreme dislike for large groups, but that's another story).

Eventually, I would LOVE to own a house with at least one room dedicated entirely to books. As it is, I have filled every bookshelf I have ever owned, and then some. I have no room for more books at my apartment, and I have one huge bookshelf and at least part of three little ones (my sisters and I have all of our childhood books together) overflowing at my dad's house, and boxes upon boxes (plus half an entertainment center) at my mother's house of books. I refuse to get rid of any - even if I hated it, I hate getting rid of them more.

Right now, however, my goal is to start collecting a few childhood favorites. I want to own the entire SV series (kids, twins and friends, high school, university), all of the Boxcar children, all of the Babysitter's Club (and Babysitter's little sister), the Chronicles of Narnia (which I need for a class spring term, so I have a feeling I'll have them all soon), Nancy Drew, etc. I love any excuse to go to Powell's in Portland, or even the Book Bin in downtown Corvallis!

Sadly, this requires a lot of money, and since I'm trying to save for study abroad, paying off loans, and freeing myself from the ridiculous amount of money necessary for an education, there isn't much to spare. Maybe my mom will read this and start helping me collect (hint hint).... and maybe a few bookcases need to be added to this dream list.

Well, time to go enjoy a little light reading! Anyone have any good book suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.