Sunday, November 28, 2010

practical schmactical.

You want to know something strange about me?

Not once have I ever decided what I wanted to be when I grow up.

That's right. I have never made a plan for my life, or set a career goal.

I don't remember ever telling anyone "when I grow up, I want to be ....."

Usually when people ask me that question, I fill in the blank with "happy". Because what's life if you're unhappy? Shouldn't we all stop scrutinizing our futures and enjoy our here and nows? Can't we all just step back, look at what we've already accomplished, and go,"Oh, hey, I rock." Why does everyone feel this incessent need to tell me that I need to have a plan, I need to pick my career right now? I couldn't tell you what shoes I'm going to pick tomorrow, much less what I want to do with my life. Why do I need some huge life goal? I'm comfortable with taking this all one day or week at a time. I'll see where my heart leads me. My double degree I'm working on right now? May not be the smartest majors I could of picked, but I enjoy learning those subjects. I picked based on what classes I loved in high school, and I'm amazingly happy that I did. I love my classes. Sure, some professors leave a little more to be desired, but I genuinely love  my majors. I can't wait to learn more, hopefully getting the opportunity to learn more languages. I would love to do nothing but travel, explore life and love throughout the world, learning languages as I go. As Elizabeth Gilbert said in Eat, Pray, Love, "Tis' better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else's perfectly." That woman did what I am DYING to do -  she did the unthinkable and gave up he hectic life to simply explore, enjoy, and marvel at the world.

So, as I told my friend Jen,

Practicality be damned, I'm going to study what I want to study.

and I'll find my own path, one step at a time, and love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.