Friday, October 22, 2010

Rest in peace, Luke.

This past week, the Veneta/Elmira community took a hard hit. A young man, Luke Esgate, was killed in a BMX accident.

Now, when I first heard the news, I didn't think I knew the guy. I knew the name sounded familiar, but I figured he was a friend of a friend. Don't get me wrong, I was upset when I heard the news, but I didn't quite make the connection until my grandma called me tonight.

Luke had gone on a youth group retreat that my grandpa used to put on for the Elmira Church of Christ. It was the last retreat my grandpa has done, and I was the only granddaughter able to go. Once my grandma told me it was this Luke, I had to pull over and catch my breath. Luke was an amazing kid, only a few years younger than me but wise far beyond his age. He was fun to hang out with around the campfire, sweet, funny, and adorable. He was fairly quiet in comparison to his tent-mate, Robbie, but then again everyone was quiet in comparison. Luke seemed to have a special bond with the youth group leader, Ben K. I didn't really get the chance to really know Luke, and I only saw him a few times after the trip, but even I know that this world has lost an incredible young man way, way too early.

Rest in peace Luke. You are well-loved down here, and I know you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read and love every single comment and try to reply as soon as I can.